Saturday, October 20, 2012

Things that Bug...

Yesterday we found this natural Halloween decoration in our apartment. Candace named him "Bubble Butt" and yes...he is preying on another spider. Who needs the Discovery Channel when you can see it up close and personal in the comfort of your own apartment.

After seeing this little feller...It made me think of things that "bug" me AKA my pet peeves.  Let's all be honest here...We all have a list of things that just bug.  We are all human. Unfortunately one of my biggest weaknesses is that my face tells all. Even when I think I have maintained "good composure" I end up finding out I failed miserably. Fortunately...it usually takes a lot to set me off. For those who know me well the following list will probably be no surprise to you...and for those who were unaware I guess this is how you either A) bug me (WARNING: dirty looks will ensue) or B) avoid my crap list. I would suggest you take note :)

1. Video games, TV, and sports addictions.  Sure video games, TV, and sports are fun.  But...if you are not capable of having a normal conversation, social life, or sleeping habits because of these behaviors...maybe you should consider an intervention. 

2. Poor grammar and spelling.  We have Google and Spell Check...Use it!! If you don't...I will look at the keyboard and decide if your spelling errors are socially acceptable. You have been warned.

3. Fad Diets/Nutrition Misinformation/Parental Food Habits.  Ugh. The dietitian in me REALLY does not like this one. 1) Fad diets (ie cleanse diet, Atkins diet, HCG, etc) do NOT work long term. I repeat...fad diets do NOT work long term! kapesh? Sure the weight will come off, but it will also slow down  your metabolism.  Once you begin eating normally guess what...you will gain all your weight back (and many times more).   You want to lose weight or feel better? There is no magic bullet. It comes down to a sustainable balanced diet with physical activity.  2) Hate to break it to you but...Dr. Oz, the internet, "nutritionists", and most MD's are generally not good sources for nutrition information. While doctors know a lot, most doctors have only had one course in nutrition.  If you have questions regarding nutrition go to a registered dietitian. 3) Food/exercise habits and food preferences of children is directly correlated with their parents eating/physical activity behaviors. Wanna stop child obesity...It has to start in the home. Yes moms and dads that means you. Parents provide the food choices available and create opportunities for physical activity. Teach your children to eat balanced diets, help them plant gardens, teach them about vegetables/fruits/grains, limit TV time and promote physical activity. 

4. Obvious comments and questions. I tend to get this one a lot..."Hey you're really little/short!" Um...really? I can't believe I have gone 24 years of my life without realizing that!  Also. Why is it socially acceptable to poke fun of an individual's height but not their weight?

5. Feet. They are just gross. I don't even like touching my own feet and I really hate when other people touch my bare feet.  No pedicures or foot massages for me. 

6. Facebook Bragging/Complaining/Love Notes. Who wants a newsfeed full of negativity, bragging, or mushy love wall posts between couples (barf)? Don't make me hide or delete you. 

7. Warm Pillows. I absolutely cannot sleep with a warm pillow. 

8. Poor Driving Etiquette (Idaho drivers please take note). This includes drivers who do not go the speed limit, slow drivers in the left lane on the freeway, Mormon road blocks, drivers that don't know how to merge, drivers that speed up when you are trying to switch lanes, etc. 

9. Poor Communication.   I am pretty much an open book. If you know at all you have probably realized I am very vocal about my life, my opinions, and feelings. And let's be honest...I cannot control facial expressions.  So if I don't say it with my mouth (which I usually do) it is written all over my face.  So...word of advice when dealing with me: 1) don't beat behind the bush and 2) If you have something to say just say it.  I promise I can handle it. 

10. Dirty kitchens and Clutter. Nothing grosses me out more than a dirty kitchen and I absolutely hate clutter.  There will be no eating of food produced from a dirty kitchen from me. I guess I can thank Dick...My Sanitation and Food Safety professor for that one. And rest assured...You will never see me on Hoarders. 

11. Guys who "compliment" me on my physical appearance before getting to know me.   It's true.  I hate it when guys compliment me without putting forth any effort to get to know me...Especially if it is about my physical appearance.  So fellas...If you have something to say about my physical appearance I suggest you keep it to yourself until you get to know me.

12. Guys who view education/careers/success  as turn-off.  What the crap? If a guy were to tell me that he had goals/ambitions and he was actively working towards them I would not let him get away. Why is it so different when the scenario is reversed?  



No comments:

Post a Comment