Sunday, September 16, 2012

Dating

Nothing is worse than first dates or the beginning stages of a relationship. Dating has gotten so complicated and is such a "game" sometimes I can't even handle it. For the most part dating can be summed up by the definition in the Urban Dictionary:
A pointless waste of time... defined by massive usage of cologne and/or perfume, awkward sweaty hand-holding, and feelings of puppy love that usually dissolve in a few weeks (or less)
IDK...maybe it just runs in the family but the Middleton ladies (me and my 4 cousins) have an abnormal amount of awful/hilarious/ridiculous dating stories. Some situations have even been re-enacted during other families' family reunions. We have been told a number of times by multiple different people that we should combine our experiences and make a book and/or movie. It would be a top seller for sure.

Recently, I had another one of those dating experiences that is too good  not to share.  One of my professors who is a great friend of mine texted me to see if I would be willing to go on a blind date with a pilot that her husband works with. I'm usually not a fan of blind dates...but after living in a social/dating suicide place like Twin Falls I thought...well why not? Bearing through an uncomfortable night is the worst thing that could happen. Right? She informed me that her husband and the pilot were scheduled to fly  into Twin Falls the next day. She asked if I would be willing to pick up her husband, the pilot, and the flight attendant at their hotel after I got off work so we could all go to dinner together. I agreed but I was a little anxious about having an "audience" at our first meeting. Well. The next day rolls around. I sent a message to my professor's husband as I was leaving the hospital and told him I would be at the hotel in a few minutes. As I pull up to the hotel I see three men come out of the lobby. That caught me off guard since I was expecting a female flight attendant. I re-introduced myself to my professor's husband since we had met briefly before and he introduced me to his crew. I obviously knew that my professor's husband was married and the flight attendant was wearing a wedding ring.  However, the pilot was not but he did look quite a bit older than me. As we were driving to the restaurant my professor's husband jokingly said "you better not tell any of our wives that we are going out to dinner with you." I made some witty comment back, but was rather confused as I got the impression that all 3 of the men I was going to dinner with were married. They were all very nice...but I felt so awkward. Finally, after ordering our meals, the pilot mentioned another pilot named J. Then all three of the guys were asking me questions about my family, work, schooling, hobbies, etc.     First date questioning by three men...all of whom were married. Weird, right?  They told me a little about J and showed me a picture of him. They kept assuring me that "he was really really cute and such a good dresser."  They said that J wanted to make sure I didn't have a lazy eye and they would relay the information they obtained about me to J.  My professor's husband was very nice and paid for all of our meals....making it a lot less awkward on my part. After dinner my professor's husband asked if he could give J my number. I reluctantly agreed and figured that I would never hear from him.  I was wrong. J called me a few days later to ask me on a date. He apologized for the confusion and explained that he did not come to Twin Falls because there had been a scheduling misunderstanding.  Although awkward as this situation was not many can say that they went on a date with three married men at the same time.

Although bad dating experiences can be awkward/painful/confusing they provide great stories and entertainment for years to come. So to all you singles out there cherish your terrible, awful, horrible, no good dating experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment